Current Capacity: Approx 4,640
Current Stand Opened: First Phase; 8th November 1980 vs Aston Villa, First Division
Full Opening: 2nd September 1981 vs Arsenal, First Division
Stand Replaced: The original Halfords Lane Stand
From its opening in 1981 up until the major ground redevelopment started in 1994 the Halfords Lane Stand was the most impressive of the four stands at The Hawthorns. However, the opening of the new Smethwick End, Birmingham Road End and finally the East Stand would see it become the most dated.
It was built in two phases at a cost of £2.5million. Work started in 1980 on the section running from the Smethwick End to the halfway line and once that was completed the rest of the stand was built, finally being completed in time for the start of the 1981/82 season.
It was opened in it's entirety for the first time for the First Division game against Arsenal on September 2, 1981.
For a spell in the mid to late nineties it was known as the Brew XI Stand due to a sponsorship deal with local brewers M&B.
The 2007/08 season saw major and much needed refurbishment work carried out on the stand.
The work included doubling the size of concourses, new dressing rooms, dugouts and executive boxes as well as much improved facilities for supporters and the media. The work, which cost £3million, also saw the stand renamed the West Stand.
Originally, the plan was to demolish the stand, replacing it with a brand new structure. However, due to fears about the cost and falling attendances the plans were shelved indefinitely.
The stand now has a capacity of around 4,640, down from the 5,110 it originally held.
1911 Improvements are made to the Halfords Lane Stand.
1914 The Halfords Lane Stand is extended and tip up seats are installed.
1924 A new block of turnstiles are built at the Smethwick End / Halfords Lane corner.
1934 A new stand is built at the Smethwick End / Halfords Lane corner which increases the capacity of the ground by an extra 750 seats.
1939 The wooden roof of the Halfords Lane stand is replaced by asbestos sheeting.
1949 The front of the Halfords Lane Stand is extended to give a further 750 seats. The old wooden 'terraces' at the front of the stand are replaced with concrete.
1958 A new wing is added to the Halfords Lane Stand at the Birmingham Road End corner which increases the capacity by an extra 1,200 seats.
1980 Work starts on the new Halfords Lane Stand.
1981 The Halfords Lane stand is completed at a cost of £2.5million.
1989 A new sponsors lounge is opened in the Halfords Lane / Birmingham Road End corner.
1995 The Albion museum, located in the Halfords Lane Stand, is officially opened by manager Alan Buckley.
2008 The Halfords Lane Stand is modernised at a cost of £3million. The work includes new dressing rooms, dugouts and executive boxes as well as much improved facilities for supporters. The stand is renamed the West Stand. The overall stadium capacity is reduced to 26,500 as a result of the work.
Click here to view the West Stand Gallery